Department of Botany and the HN herbarium
Functions and tasks
- To investigate the flora of Vietnam, to evaluate wild species in over country, collect scientific data and compile the Flora of Vietnam.
- To collect and build the dried collection of plants for the National Herbarium.
- To investigate and discover plants of high economic value, to propose measures for the rational utilization, protection and development of important species.
- To define the present status of valuable and rare plant genes, increase measures for the conservation of those endangered species.
- Study the flora of Vietnam - countrywide - since 1975.
- The Department had published professional books: Flora of Vietnam, Checklist of plant species of Vietnam, Red Data Book of Vietnam, and others...
- The Department of Botany is also carrying out the many projects for biodiversity of vegetation in many regions of Vietnam.
- Komarov Botanical Institute (Russia) on the "Flora of Vietnam" project (since 1975)
- Plant Resources of SouthEast Asia and in cooperation with the Natural History Museum, Paris (France)
- Leiden University (Netherlands)
- Missouri Botanical Garden (USA)
- The Department has also cooperated with other international agencies, e.g. IUCN, FAO, and WWF.
Visit the Institute of Ecology and Biological Resources Getting in touch page.